CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Blogapalooza

No, you’re not imagining it: three blog posts in one day! I’ve been hesitant to blog the last few days, so bear with me while I explain myself and make up for it.

The main reason I’ve put off blogging is because I feel somewhat guilty. A good friend of mine lost her very young son suddenly last week. She and her family have been on my mind constantly, and I guess I feel bad about posting about our everyday, silly goings-on when I know she is suffering through such a horrible time.

I’m not going to discuss her situation because I feel it’s inappropriate to write about someone else’s tragedy. However, the thoughts and feelings I’ve had lately are important to me and I feel I should get them out and share some of them. The things I’ve learned & reflected on in the wake of someone else’s misfortune.

I love my kids and I am very grateful for them. Period. There’s not a stronger way to say it! Today while Erin was at school and Robbie was napping, I had some quiet time while doing laundry and ironing. I folded Erin’s pants and was thankful that they will be filled with a wonderful little girl again. I ironed Robbie’s little dress shirts and was thankful that I was preparing them for church and not for a viewing.

I hope I don’t forget. Will I get mad at my kids again? Yes. Was I happy when Robbie let go of my hand and ran down the aisle in Target today? No. But I love them and I’m glad they’re mine.

Tomorrow I’m going to the funeral. I’ve been kind of trying to prepare myself emotionally, but you can’t. There are certain sizes caskets just shouldn’t come in. It makes my heart ache. I know my friend would be there for me if the situation were reversed. I pray that Heavenly Father will give her the strength and comfort to get through the service. And then to get home. And then to eat lunch. And to get up every day. And to enjoy her life, as different as it will be. I know He will. Maybe it will just be a little bit at a time, but I know that Heavenly Father blesses each of us more than we know.

Why on earth would I post about this on my blog? I guess I’m just thankful for a very important reminder of my priorities, and I want to remind everyone else. Now go hug your kids. Don’t take them for granted like we tend to do sometimes.

Now I’ve come to terms about posting about what we’ve been up to lately. I think that when bad things happen, we sometimes feel like moving on with our lives belittles the tragedy. I’m learning that is not the case. While we should reverence life, living it and enjoying it are part of reverencing it.

Here’s to living life…

5 comments:

Bump and Erin said...

Isn't it sad that sometimes it takes a tragedy like that to really make you think about how lucky we are to have our kids? You just hope that it will make people stronger rather than not. Good luck tomorrow.

hillari said...

My friend lost her little girl a few years ago, and I think about her all the time. I can totally relate to your feelings. Good luck at the funeral. I'll be thinking about your friend.

Hatch's said...

I have had the exact same feelings. Kandice, please give Becky a hug for me.

Jodilyn said...

I most certainly couldn't have said it better. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings.

I am so sad that I am not able to go to the funeral today. I will be able to go to the burial on Saturday though. Have a safe trip and can I request a hug for Becky too?

Charlene said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend. If you need anything, just let me know.