CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Tres Rios Festival

This morning, we went to the Tres Rios Festival. Not far from our house is a BLM wildlife area where three rivers converge (tres rios, you see...) and once a year they have this festival where you can see all kinds of wildlife and learn stuff; crafts for the kids, food, etc.

The kids got to see a lot of different birds. Hawks, quail, a hummingbird, different kinds of owls, a baby pigeon, a crane. For some reason, "owl" is one of the first words Robbie mastered, so that came in handy today. He knew which ones were owls, too, because he didn't say it to the other birds. I didn't get any pictures with the birds, but they were pretty neat.

They also liked all the snakes and lizards. Gila monsters. One table had this huge, scary scorpion in an aquarium and they were letting the kids shine a black light on it to see it glow. Here's Erin with the rattlesnakes:

The kids got to feed some mesquite beans to a burro & feel its big hairy lips tickling their hands!

They had a fishing clinic to teach the kids to fish, but we kind of avoided that because of all the lures & hooks flying everywhere. Maybe next year.

We did paddle a canoe up the river and back, though. My first time in a canoe (and it showed). I was not cut out to navigate a canoe! I caused the suffering of several plants & shrubs who were unfortunate enough to make their homes in my path. Poor Rob had to work twice as hard to undo what I was doing with my paddle! He's the reason we're not still floating down the river. The trail of destruction was minimal, though, and we had fun.

It was a nice way to be out in nature for a little while without leaving town.

4 comments:

meghannamarie said...

That sounds like a ton of fun! I hope you had fun! Something I would have had to talk Justin into doing with the kids and all. At least you only harmed the plant life I would have tipped the boat upside down, and soaked the whole fam!

Brandi Jo said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. I always hear about that festival, but never have gone to it or heard what it was about. We'll have to go sometime. Looks like you had fun in the canoe. Fun Memories!

Amy O'Neill said...

How fun! I have actually never heard of it... maybe we will have to check it out next year.

Phil and Stacie said...

I with we'd known! Sounds like a great family fun day. And I'm way impressed with Robbie's vocabulary!