CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 14, 2008

Wild Kingdom

OK, I think I'm a pretty good sport with all the creatures that live around our house - lizards, cicadas, worms...

But do they seriously need to come INSIDE the house?


This lizard has been living under our oven for the last two weeks. In the afternoon, when the patch of sun reaches the oven, he comes out to sun himself. What is this, a resort? Does he brag to his lizard friends?

Granted, I haven't seen any crickets in the kitchen recently, so he's earning his keep. And I like lizards. I just don't think I need one in my kitchen. The kids are pleased.

The little stinker never comes out very far, so I can't quite get my hand behind him before he scurries back under the oven. I try several times a day. At what point do we just decide to consider him a pet?

Speaking of pets, the poor cat. If she gets a peek of the lizard, she'll hang out in the kitchen for hours, staring at bottom of the oven. A while back, we had another lizard in the house, and I don't think she has ever forgiven me for relocating it outside. She just doesn't see that much action in here, you know? She tries, but I think our lizard is pretty safe.


So in the meantime, I'll have to be OK with a creature under my oven. But every afternoon when the sun patch gets closer to the oven, you know either the cat or I will be in there, ready to pounce.

6 comments:

mo said...

Hey as long as he eats the crickets...I would think it would be equally hot UNDER the oven...no need for sunning!

The Dominguez Family said...

Cool... What you guys going to name him? That's not a bad idea get a lizard and let him eat up all the crickets around the house... ummm maybe not, Cy would probably freak out and so would I if he one day he ran across my foot or something.

Gardner Family said...

He looks pretty big. Those crickets must be juicy!

SJ said...

Well, I think a lizard under your oven is alot better than in your bedroom! Your post made me think of me growing up in my parents' house -- there were always lizards coming in and hanging out in the sliding window. That's nice that it's taking care of the bugs!

Cheree said...

Niiiiiiiice. I have to admit, living in 40 degree weather right now--it's not very inviting to lizards. I'm jealous of your lizard. Maybe if I had one in my kitchen, it'd be warmer here.

Alayna said...

Our indoor/outdoor cat likes to catch lizards and bring them in to the house. He only plays with them until he gets bored, then lets them go. Fun.
I've gotten pretty good at catching them. I've developed a method with a broom and a dustpan. Works pretty well! :)
Good luck with yours!