CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

EAC, Part 2

Now that you've read about our luxurious accommodations, you may wonder why Iwould ever leave! But I did tear myself away to go to class. Some of my teachers included:

...The geology teacher who wore more clothes than anyone ever needs to. She would wear a turtleneck under a t-shirt with a button-up shirt over that. In the cold months she would add a sweater, a jacket, earmuffs, gloves, AND mittens.

...The theater teacher who seriously thought she should be on Broadway

...The psychology teacher with an awesome sense of humor, but you always felt like he could see through your soul

...The sociology teacher who was blind but would pace around the classroom without his cane as he lectured. He woud call on someone like this "Okay, the person in the third row, second seat..." and sometimes one of us would have to tell him, "Um, nobody's in that seat"

...The art history teacher who was awarded the prize for "Least Interesting Man in America". Or he should've been anyway. He would get a room full of college kids at 8 am, dim the lights, and shows slides for 90 minutes while he read the slide captions in monotone.

Aside from that last guy, I liked my teachers pretty well and my classes were interesting.

Some of the other fun stuff we did at EAC:

The Institute was a great place to hang out. The teachers were all really good, and it was just a nice place to be. I don't know if they still have it or not, but there was a bulletin board there and a stack of little paper. You'd check it a couple of times a day between classes to see if you had a note from anyone. I still have a lot of these little notes somewhere! There was always something there to make you laugh or brighten your day somehow.

Red Knolls was a cool place to hike. The heavily-clad geology teacher even took us on a field trip there once. But it's like a giant lump of solidified clay, with all kinds of weird formations, caves, and tunnels. It's a neat place to climb around. I only have one photo of it, so this will have to do. You can kind of make out one of my friends standing (in black) by the opening of the cave.


Choir! Dr. Lunt was the coolest choir director ever. Everyone went to the concerts, and they were always lots of fun. He always had barbershop and beauty shop quartets, and those four guys and four girls were like mini-celebrities. They said that if you drank the water from the choir room drinking fountain, you'd get married. Dr. Lunt even started putting little placards up around the drinking fountain to commemorate those couples who "drank the water". One winter when we were decorating the choir room, we hung a bunch of mistletoe above the drinking fountain and I remember him saying it was a dangerous machine. Here's a picture from one of the Fall Sings. These always ended with a big patriotic number, and a giant American flag would come down behind us. Always gave me goosebumps!

The hot springs. There were several places along the Gila River where you could find natural hot springs. One of them actually had a little home-made concrete hot tub that someone had crafted! The only drawback to the hot springs was that a couple of times a year, little groups of roving hippies would live there for a couple of weeks on their way through to wherever.

Mount Graham. I still like to go camping up there! It's just really pretty up in the mountains, and it's always fun to play with the squirrels & stuff. And snow in the winter!

I need to tell a few stories, too, but I'm running out of time! Maybe I can tell some random college stories in future blogs.

6 comments:

hillari said...

That does sound pretty fun. How did you like going to a small college versus ASU?

Jodilyn said...

Dr. Lunt was one of the best teachers ever. I love that man!

The picture of the Red Knolls reminded me of the experience of our wonderful friends, my brother included. I should e-mail that picture to Gus along with a picture of a gas can or something. :)

meghannamarie said...

I love Thatcher I miss it often!

Hatch's said...

What we NEED to find out is if anyone has a pic of the make out poster...remember with all the definitions of different make outs...Anyone? Carla? haha Also if anyone has a pic of when Megan pushed Justin through the window.

Life in the circus said...

I might have a picture of it, but Ill have to look through my pics to find out. Ill get back to you on that. :)

Amy O'Neill said...

I think I had the same geology teacher... was she an older lady and in love with Robert Redford?... I just remember her wearing lots of layers. I had a crazy weird english teacher, Mr. Lanquist... such a creep. Was he there when you went? I forgot all about Red Knolls... and the hot springs. The Choir concerts were really fun. I still love to visit Mt. Graham too. Such fun memories of EAC!