CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 29, 2008

Helicopters and the Zoo

On Saturday, Rob was umpiring softball again, and the kids and I went to Bass Pro Shop and the Phoenix Zoo. We were happy that my parents came along with us!

They were doing a family preparedness day at Bass Pro Shop, so there were all kinds of fire trucks, police departments, hospitals, etc. with little tables set up. And the Chick-Fil-A cow was there, which meant coupons for free kids meals! Take a wild guess where we ate lunch.

They also had the Med Evac and Native Air helicopters in the parking lot. Robbie has been really excited about the color yellow lately, so the two yellow helicopters were pretty cool for him. The kids got to climb inside and check them out. I liked it myself! I guess I've never actually been that close to a helicopter before. Here are the kids with the helicopters - don't you love the "squinting in the sun" faces?



If you haven't been to Bass Pro Shop, it's a cool place to look around. It's a lot like Cabela's. There's a lot of stuff to look at - plenty of dead, taxidermied stuff, a big fish tank, a fish pond. On Saturdays, they let the kids feed the fish in the pond.

By lunch time, we were all sweaty, tired, and probably dehydrated! But we felt better after eating and after plenty of refills, and off we went to the zoo.

The Smithsonian was doing Free Museum Day, and the zoo was included, so that's the whole reason we went. We only had a couple of hours before the zoo closed, and none of us really felt like walking around the whole zoo. So we saw all the exciting stuff - the giraffes, tigers, monkeys, elephants. Here are the kids up close & personal with the mandrills:

(Side note: The mandrill in the back was picking through the other one's hair and eating his bugs. I alwyas get a kick out of that)

It was so HOT, though! I probably should've brought my parents back to the Med Evac helicopters afterward. We were pretty wiped out. See?


Hot, sweaty, and smelling like the zoo!

It was a fun day, though.

10 comments:

meghannamarie said...

That sounds like so much fun! I never do that type of stuff with my kids, especially when it is sooooo hot I hate the hot! The last pic of the kids is so funny!

Charlene said...

You are such a good mom. I love the picture at the end, it is hilarious!

Amy O'Neill said...

You did have a busy day!! The last pic is so funny... my kids get the red cheeks too. Sounds like a fun day!

Brandi Jo said...

How fun! I need to look at your free stuff list more often! I might be stopping by real fast today to drop something off! See ya later!

Summer said...

You always find the best deals! That sounds like fun! Where's the Bass Pro Shop? I've never heard of it! Love the red cheeks!!

Laisa said...

Hey stranger! I've been trying to find you for YEARS.....so glad we can keep in touch now. :D Looks like you & Rob are doing great & your kids are adorable - I bet you're an awesome Mom! Well, I've added ya to my list now, so there's no escaping me (ha ha). Love ya!!

Phil and Stacie said...

You are so brave to face the heat and have so much fun! I knew I should have called you when I was looking for some free stuff to do last weekend!

mo said...

Fun! Thanks for the Paul Newman story via Megan's blog and just thought I'd tell ya I told my class that story of being taped to the wall and showed them the pic and everything. Still makes me laugh!

Laisa said...

Hey Alex.....you need to open up a facebook account - Smitty just joined & there are a bunch of us keeping in touch on there......ALSO - I think I forgot to give you my blog address: alnielson.blogspot.com & Smitty has one too: dagfam.blogspot.com

Dagley Family said...

Sista Alex! How are you doing? Well I have been trying to catch up on your life by reading your blog. Your little ones look so precious and can we say Erin looks like her mom! So good to hear from you.