CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Say Your Prayers, Varmint

Today's find was a praying mantis. Maybe I shouldn't capture and post pictures of every creature we find in our yard, but I'm calling it science.I guess I just like watching the kids checking out new things. And Erin will always ask some question that I'm not completely able to answer, so then I learn something when I look it up.

We stuck the poor praying mantis in a jar. Erin wants to keep it and then let it go tomorrow morning. So I put a couple of crickets in there for company. Or a midnight snack. Have I ever mentioned that I hate crickets? I hope the mantis will be alone and chubby in the jar tomorrow morning.
The cat had her own thoughts about the bugs.

4 comments:

hillari said...

love the pic of the cat checking things out. did the crickets make it through the night?

Kandice and Rob said...

Unfortunately, they did. Our little green prisoner is now living in our lawn.

Summer said...

Do praying mantis' really eat crickets?? We found one on our porch the other night...wonder if it was looking for dinner?

The Dominguez Family said...

We also have one leaving somewhere near the front door. We see it just about everyday. Cy will only look at it from afar... I love how your kids are so curios and don't mind being so close to bugs or lil creatures. Cy screams when he gets to close to a cricket. Lil Carlos tells him that they are just trying to love him :)